Jodensavanne and Overbridge Full-Day Guided Tour
Language: English, Dutch
Duration: 8 hours
- Discover the Jewish Savanna and its previous medicinal water sources.
- Pass through indigenous villages and marvel at the glistening slither of the river as you cross it at Carolina.
- Swim in the Suriname River at Overbridge River Resort.
- Indulge in a relaxing lunch surrounded by nature.
Jodensavanna is located on the right bank of the Suriname River, about an hour's drive from Paramaribo. This is a short distance to travel for an out-of-this-world experience of a former Jewish settlement. You'll see the ruins of the oldest Jewish synagogue on the American continent, as well as the cemetery. You'll be amazed as you pass through several indigenous villages and cross the river at Carolina. In addition, at the Overbridge Resort, lunch is served on the nature spot where you can relax or swim - all in the same day.
You'll be picked up and taken to the historical site, which is named after the Jews who fled the Inquisition in Europe around 1650 and settled in this savannah area. Visit the hill with views of the surrounding plantations and learn about the two water sources, one of which was said to have medicinal properties. Increase your understanding of the plantations that existed there, including sugar cane and Biblical names like Hebron and Bersaba.
You will travel to Jodensavanna via the Afobakaweg. Along the way, you'll pass through several indigenous villages and cross the river at Carolina. The guide tells you fascinating stories about the plantation's famous and rich past. Visit the old cemetery and the ruins that remain. The tour continues to the Overbridge Resort after Jodensavanna, where lunch is served on a spot where you can relax or swim to end the day.
- Guided tour
- Transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
-Alcoholic drinks (can be purchased on site)
- Additional food and drinks
- Tips (optional)
Please choose one of the following meeting points: - Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 8:00am - Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 8.15 am - Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 8.30 am - Joah Inn Appartementen, Keizerstraat 91 at 8.45 am
What to Remember
-Please note there is a choice of pickups from 4 locations, which are:
Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 8:00am
Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 8.15 am
Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 8.30 am
Joah Inn Appartementen, Keizerstraat 91 at 8.45 am
- At checkout, please write your choice of pick up from the 4 locations above so the local operator is aware.
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes, sunglasses, hat or cap for the sun, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, a poncho or have an umbrella in case of rain and take your camera.
- As there is a swimming opportunity, remember to take swimwear, towel, and sandals.
- The minimum number of adults that can be booked is 2 and a maximum of 15.
- This activity is available in English and Dutch.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 70% refund if you cancel up to 21 days before the experience begins. If you cancel up to 14 days before, you can still receive a 50% refund. If you cancel up to 5 days before, you can still receive a 25% refund. If you cancel up to 24 hours before, you can still receive a 10% refund.