Private Guided History Walk of Budapest and to the Shoes on the Danube
Duration: Up to 2 hours
- Make the best of your English-speaking tour guide's knowledge.
- Enjoy the views of the Danube while strolling along the riverbank.
- Explore the shocking Shoes on the Danube memorial to Hungary's Jewish Holocaust.
- See the historical and Art Nouveau palaces, as well as the breathtaking Chain Bridge.
- Discover the square and monuments that surround the magnificent Hungarian Parliament building.
Begin your walk at Marcius 15 ter, where you may observe the Great Blessed Queen's Gothic Medieval cathedral (Nagyboldogasszony templom).
Continue your walk down the Duna Corso river promenade, taking in the most spectacular views of the Danube, its bridges, and the Buda Castle on the opposite bank. Stop to visit the Small Princess, a Peter Pan-like figure who is an iconic emblem of Budapest, in the beautiful dance palace (Pesti Vigado) created in the 19th century. Explore Vorosmarty Square, which is home to the 150-year-old Gerbeaud Cafe, the city's most famous pastry shop. Visit Joseph Square, which features huge porcelain fountains.
After a short walk, you'll reach one of the tour's highlights: Szechenyi Square and the historic Chain Bridge, which was completed in 1849 as the first bridge across the Danube. Explore the exquisite Four Seasons Hotel, one of the city's most beautiful Art Nouveau palaces.
Proceed along the riverbank to the moving Shoes on the Danube monument, which honors the Hungarian Jewish martyrs murdered by the Nazis during World War 2. They compelled their victims to remove their shoes before firing them into the river, which is why there are so many bronze shoes on the riverbank today.
Conclude your journey in Kossuth Square, where you can take in the scenery around Hungary's majestic Parliament building.
- Guided tour with a professional local tour guide
- Students (age 7-18)
- Children (age 0-6): free
Budapest, Váci u. 31, 1052 Hungary
The guide will carry a sign with "GUIDED TOUR" written on it.
What to Remember
- COVID safety information: The tour guide will wear a protective mask if required by travellers. Social distance will be observed during the tour.
- This tour is for small private groups of up to 10 people.
- Students are allowed only if there is at least one adult in the group.
Every day at 2:00 pm
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the tour begins.