St Stephen's Basilica Tour with Tower Access in Budapest
Duration: Up to 1 hour
- Visit Saint Stephen's Basilica, Budapest's main Catholic church.
- Take advantage of skip-the-line entry and save valuable vacation time.
- Take an English-guided tour of the church, which includes monumental artworks and relics.
- Take in panoramic views of the city from the dome.
- Evaluate the treasury and historical exhibits.
Begin your guided tour within Saint Stephen's Basilica by meeting your English-speaking tour guide in front of the church.
It is one of Budapest's highlights, recognized for its gigantic dome and exquisite Neo-Renaissance design, and was built in the second part of the nineteenth century. The Holy Right, a naturally mummified right hand of the first Hungarian ruler Saint Stephen, who governed Hungary in the 11th century and converted Hungarians to Christianity, will be on display. You will learn about a proud nation's 1000-year-old Christian past. Enjoy a guided tour of the church's opulent interior, which is covered in real gold and embellished with many frescos and sculptures created by the best late-nineteenth-century local artisans.
Following your guided tour of the interior of the church, you will ride an elevator to the panoramic terrace around the dome, which provides an incredible view of Budapest. Following the guided tour, you can use your ticket to enter the basilica's treasury and history museum, which you can explore at your leisure.
You will be compensated with a guided tour of the treasury and history exhibits if the church cannot be seen due to an unforeseen special ceremony.
- Guided tour in English of the inside of the Basilica and from the lookout terrace around the dome
- Entry to the church
- Use of the elevator and entry to the panoramic terrace
- Entry to the treasury and to the historical exhibition
- Infants (age 0-6): free admission
Budapest, Szent István tér 1, 1051 Hungary
Meet your guide on the steps in front of Saint Stephen's Basilica with the sign "GUIDED TOUR".
What to Remember
- The church is closed on some special occasions like wedding ceremonies. In such unforeseen cases you will be compensated withan extra guided visit to the tower treasury (not part of the guided tour normally).
- Please wear clothes appropriate for a church (no sleeveless tops, short skirts or shorts); men should uncover their heads.
- It is forbidden to eat, drink, or smoke in the church area.
- To reach the dome panorama terrace there are 2 elevators: a bigger one in the lower part and a smaller one in the upper part of the building; instead of using the second smaller elevator you may climb about 60 steps to reach the top of the dome, in case there are too many people waiting for the elevator.
- COVID safety information: The tour guide will wear a protective mask if required by travellers. Social distance will be observed during the tour.
- The tour operates on Saturdays with a maximum of 3 participants, on all other days the maximum is 10.
Please refer to the calendar for updated starting times and availability.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the trip begins.