Kauman Village Tour
Language: English, French, Dutch
Duration: From 2 hours to 4 hours
- Take a stroll through Kauman village.
- Learn about Java's center for Islamic education.
- Visit the local market.
- Tastethe local tea.
Yogyakarta, which has long been the center of spiritual learning in Java, is a major center for Indonesian art, culture, and cuisine. However, this STEP walking tour takes you off the beaten path to discover Kauman, an Islamic village where you'll visit a local market, try tea fit for a king, and learn all the secrets of this Javanese gem. Most visitors make a beeline for the spotless palace here.
You'll set out to negotiate the congested streets with an experienced guide by your side. Only two people can pass through these narrow passageways at a time, which was done on purpose to prevent disturbing those who were attending solemn worship.
View the Gede Mosque, built in the 17th century in the shape of a pagoda and serving as the hub of Muslim prayer, and browse the stalls in Kauman's market. Before taking a tea break with the locals, peruse the available trinkets, treasures, and farm-fresh produce. Sultan's Tea, the preferred blend for the numerous sultans who have ruled the area since the 1700s, is not your typical beverage.
- Coffee or tea
- Local delicacy tasting
- Admission fees
What to Remember
-Not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
- Children must be supervised by an adult (over 18 years) at all time.
- Bring a hat.
- Bring suitable footwear.
- Bring money for extras or gratuities.
- English-speaking guide for all nationalities.
- Please note that all times are approximate and subject to change.
- This experience doesn't follow our general cancellation policy. If you need to cancel, you must do so at least 72-hours in advance to receive a full refund.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 2 days before the experience begins. If you cancel up to before, you can still receive a 50% refund.