Iztaccihuatl Volcano Private Hiking Tour
Language: English, Spanish
Duration: Up to 12 hours
- Climb the Iztaccihuatl Volcano, Mexico's third highest peak.
- Learn about the Amecameca municipality's history and rich gastronomic traditions.
- You have complete control over how you organize your experience.
After being picked up from your hotel, you'll take a scenic drive through the Valley of Mexico before arriving at el Paso de Cortés. This 3400m high mountain pass connects the volcanoes Popocatépetl and Iztaccihuatl. Then you'll arrive at La Joya, a high mountain hut at an elevation of 3977m connected by one of the country's highest mountain roads. This is the starting point for your 4-hour hike to the volcano's snow line along an intermediate-level trail that will appeal to both novices and those with more hiking experience.
Depending on the time available, the weather, and your physical condition, you'll ascend to 4200-4800m, where you'll be rewarded with spectacular views of snowcapped peaks, glaciers, the Valley of Mexico, and the smoking peak of a nearby Popocatepetl Volcano. You'll have plenty of time to take memorable photos and relax in the peace and beauty of this mountainous setting.
Following the hike, you'll travel to the nearby town of Amecameca to explore its unique historic center and sample some of its best food specialties, including rabbit mixiotes (pit-barbecued meat), barbacoa, and pulque. After a joyous sampling of local foods and beverages, you'll take a leisurely drive back to Mexico City.
-Non-alcoholic drinks and snacks
- Amecameca Market food tasting
- Entrance fees
- Guided tour
- Roundtrip transportation
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
-Additional food and drinks
- Health/travel insurance
-Infants (age 0-3): free admission
You will indicate your pickup location at check-out - Pick-up is available from Polanco, Condesa, Roma and Centro Historico. Other locations might involve an extra fee.
What to Remember
-This tour involves 5-6 hours of hiking with an elevation gain of 400-700m, travelers must have a moderate physical condition.
- During this tour you will reach a height of over 4400m (vs 2300m in Mexico City), travelers coming from lower altitudes should preferably stay at least 1-2 days in Mexico City upon arrival for adaptation to avoid altitude sickness.
- The price of the tour/person depends on the size of your group.
- The program and route can be customizable to your interests while the duration of the tour can be always extended for an extra fee.
- Please provide a valid phone number during your booking to coordinate your pick-up.
Please refer to the calendar for updated starting times and availability.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the experience begins.