Day Trip to Maramures from Cluj-Napoca
Duration: Up to 10 hours
- Travel to one of Romania's most traditional regions.
- Learn about the Forest Mountain Ranges.
- Visit Surdesti's Unesco-listed wooden church.
- Visit Sighetu Marmatiei, a small village with a diverse population of ethnic minorities.
- Visit Sapanta's Merry Cemetery.
On a full-day journey from Cluj-Napoca, see Maramures, one of Romania's most traditional districts. This region is well-known, particularly for its forest culture. Woodcarving artistry is still one of the most prominent jobs here, as evidenced by the fact that the houses and churches were once built entirely of wood.
After a few hours of driving from Cluj, you'll arrive in Baia Mare, the region's capital. Because of its gold and iron mines, this city was once one of Romania's wealthiest.
Then you will proceed to Surdesti's wooden church. Many episodes from the Old and New Testaments, such as the life and acts of the Prophet Elias and Judgment Day, are depicted on the inside walls of the church. Despite the fact that the church is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is still in use by the local population, who have decorated it with handcrafted carpets and towels.
Then, to get to Sighetu Marmatiei, you will cross the Gutin Pass. The little city is one of Romania's most cosmopolitan, with communities of Romanians, Hungarians, Jews, Germans, and Ukrainians coexisting for generations. At the Sighet museum, you may learn about the sad yet vital portions of Romanian history.
Finally, you will visit Sapanta's Merry Cemetery, which is packed with colorful tombstones depicting the lives of those who are buried there.
You will return to Cluj from Sapanta.
- Pick-up/drop off at your hotel in Cluj
- Transport by car or van
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees
Meet your guide at the agreed-upon location. Please confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking.
What to Remember
- Tour is available for minimum 2 guests.
- This tour includes pick-up in front of your hotel or accommodation in Cluj-Napoca.
- You will be asked to confirm the pick-up place and time directly with the local operator. You can find their contact information in the voucher after booking.
Daily at 8.00am
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the experience begins.