Small-Group Day Trip on the Transfagarasan Road and to Poienari Fortress from Brasov
Duration: Up to 10 hours
- Explore Romania's most spectacular paved road: Transfagarasan Road.
- Take in the views of Romania's tallest mountains and the Carpathian range.
- Enjoy the stunning view of Balea Lac, a natural glacier lake at 2040m and of coure the Balea Waterfall, with its 60-meter height.
Visit the genuine Vlad Tepes' Residential Castle and drive on the Transfagarasan highway, which was established as an important military route and is Romania's second-highest paved road and, according to some, the country's most dramatic road.
The following are some of the tour's highlights: - Transfagarasan road - the highest (2042m) and most stunning paved road in Romania, established as a crucial military route. It travels from north to south via the Carpathian Mountains' highest peaks. The road connects the medieval Transylvanian and Wallachian areas. - Fagaras Mountains — Romania's tallest mountains and part of the Carpathian range, with Moldoveanu -2544m as its highest peak. - Balea Lac is a natural glacier lake with a height of 2040 meters, a length of 360 meters, a width of 240 meters, and a depth of 11 meters. - Balea Waterfall has a height of 60 meters and is one of Romania's most famous waterfalls.
IMPORTANT: From July 1 to October 31, the Transfagarasan road is open. You will drive up to Balea Waterfall when the Transfagarasan route is closed (November 1 - June 30). (thus no visit of Poienari Fortress and Vidradu Dam). If the weather permits, you can ride the cable car up to the Balea Lake (about 20 euro per person, including the guide's cable car ticket). The ruins of the Cistercian Abbey of Carta and the magnificent Sambata de Sus Monastery will be visited.
Kindly be informed that the Poienari Fortress is not included in the tour on Mondays and Tuesdays, but can be visited on other days.
From October 1st until further notice, Poienari Fortress will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Professional guide
- Pick-up and drop-off service
- Round-trip transport by air-conditioned car or minivan
- Tip or gratuity
- Food and beverages
Meet your guide at the lobby of your hotel or at your residence in Brasov. You will indicate your pickup location at checkout.
What to Remember
- When you book the rate as 1 person, in case we have other clients, we refund the difference you payed as solo traveler, after the tour.
- POIENARI FORTRESS IS CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
- When the Transfagarasan road is closed (November 1 - June 30) you will drive up to Balea Waterfall (thus no visit of Poienari Fortress and Vidradu Dam). If the weather conditions allow, you take the cable car up to the Balea Lake (approx. extra 20 euro/person, includes the cable car ticket for the guide, also). You will visit the ruins of the Cistercian Abbey of Carta and the amazing Sambata de Sus Monastery.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please note - Access to the citadel is made by climbing the 1,480 concrete stairs.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Not stroller accessible.
- Not suitable for pets.
- Infant seats unavailable.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the journey begins.