Brownsberg Nature Park Full-Day Guided Tour
Language: English, Dutch
Duration: 12 hours
- Learn about what you see along the Afobakaweg from the expert guide.
- Marvel at a tropical rainforest with a high biodiversity and have fun spotting the 350 different types of birds, 8 different types of monkeys, and other creatures.
- Get some exercise by going on an adventure jungle hike (good physical condition is required) and experiencing the serenity of one of its unique waterfalls.
- Witness the surroundings of the Mazaroni plateau and the distinct panoramic view of the Brokopondo lake.
- Keep an ear out for howler monkeys, which are notorious for making themselves heard.
Brownsberg nature reserve is about four hours south of Paramaribo, and on the way, you'll pass by the old bauxite mining company as well as its distinct local towns. When you arrive at the nature reserve, your senses will be heightened even further because you will be surrounded by hundreds of different species of tropical birds and medicinal plants that have traditionally been used to treat injuries or illnesses. You might even see a wild deer or a Pakira (forest pig) if you're lucky! All of this and more in a single day, including lunch.
After being picked up early from Paramaribo, you'll travel to Paranam and learn about the Afobakaweg not only from your guide, but also by driving past its old bauxite mining company and small villages. When you arrive at the Mazaroni plateau's 500-meter-high mountain, marvel at the green surroundings with its gleaming reservoir dotted with tree trunks while learning why it was built.
As you hike through the rainforest over its hills to one of the four waterfalls, you will experience tranquillity and feel-good exercise. The climb and descent, while physically demanding, will increase your knowledge of the various flora and fauna that you will encounter and, hopefully, allow you to spot some of the animals. After that, you'll be due for the complimentary lunch at the restaurant.
-Entrance fee to the Brownsberg Nature Park
- Guide for the full-day including for the hike
- Transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Pick-up and drop-off from designated areas
-Alcoholic drinks (can be purchased on site)
- Additional food and drinks
- Tips (optional)
Please choose one of the following meeting points: - Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 6:15am - Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 6.30 am - Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 6.45 am - Joah Inn Appartementen, Keizerstraat 91 at 6.50 am.
What to Remember
-Please note there is a choice of pickups from 4 locations, which are:
Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 6:15am
Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 6.30 am
Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 6.45 am
Joah Inn Appartementen, Keizerstraat 91 at 6.50 am
- At checkout, please write your choice of pick up from the 4 locations above so the local operator is aware.
- You will need to take a valid ID or passport.
- It is recommended to wear hiking boots or comfortable and sturdy shoes, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, sunglasses, a long-sleeved shirt, and long pants.
- Please remember to take your camera, bathing suit, towel and poncho.
- Due to the amount of walking, terrain, climb and descent, a high fitness level is required.
- This tour is not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties, medical conditions, or wheelchair users.
- Please contact the local operator if you have any nutritional restrictions or dietary requirements. You will find the contact information in the voucher after booking.
- The minimum number of adults that can be booked is 2 and a maximum of 15.
- Children must be accompanied by adults and the minimum age is 3 years old.
- This activity is available in English and Dutch.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 70% refund if you cancel up to 21 days before the experience begins. If you cancel up to 14 days before, you can still receive a 50% refund. If you cancel up to 5 days before, you can still receive a 25% refund. If you cancel up to 24 hours before, you can still receive a 10% refund.