Commewijne Full-Day Boat Tour
Language: English, Dutch
Duration: 8 hours
- Relax your body as you float down the Suriname River.
- The Fort Nieuw Amsterdam open-air museum will pique your interest.
- Ideal for having a good time spotting dolphins.
- Visit the Rust and Werk plantations, as well as the restored Frederiksdorp.
- View Commewijne from a different perspective.
Come along for an eight-hour journey on a wooden tent boat through the waterways of the Commewijne district, known for its many historic plantations.
The day begins with admiring the white picturesque homes as you travel through the Anton Drachtenweg, a wealthy neighborhood of Paramaribo, towards Leonsberg. After that, you'll board a wooden tent boat to Fort Nieuw Amsterdam, where you'll get a look at the historic open-air museum. Hear how Dutch settlers built the fort to protect the underlying plantations from the English and French.
This leads to exploration of these green history-rich plantations, such as the Rust and Werk plantation, which has a picturesque fishing village as well as old colonial coffee and sugar plantations. After becoming acquainted with the simple way of life of the contract workers' offspring, the next stop is at the old coffee plantation Frederiksdorp. Enjoy lunch while admiring how the buildings have been beautifully restored to serve as hotel rooms. On the way back, stop by the Johanna and Margaretha plantation, which grows cassava, bananas, and peppers, to round out the day.
- Guided tour
- Transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
-Alcoholic drinks (can be purchased on site)
- Tips (optional)
Please choose one of the following meeting points: - Joah Inn Apartments, Keizerstraat 91 at 08.00am - Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 08.15am - Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 08.30am - Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 08.45am.
What to Remember
-Please note there is a choice of pickups from 4 locations, which are:
Joah Inn Apartments, Keizerstraat 91 at 08.00am
Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 08.15am
Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 08.30am
Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 08.45am.
- At checkout, please write your choice of pick up from the 4 locations above so the local operator is aware.
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes, sunglasses, hat or cap for the sun, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, a poncho and take your camera.
- The minimum number of adults that can be booked is 2 and a maximum of 15.
- This activity is available in English and Dutch.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 70% refund if you cancel up to 21 days before the experience begins. If you cancel up to 14 days before, you can still receive a 50% refund. If you cancel up to 5 days before, you can still receive a 25% refund. If you cancel up to 24 hours before, you can still receive a 10% refund.