Commewijne Plantation by Car Full-Day Tour
Language: English, Dutch
Duration: 7 hours
- Travel through time at the Fort Nieuw Amsterdam open-air museum.
- Take in the tranquillity of nature surrounding the former coffee plantation - Peperpot.
- Visit Marinburg's former sugarcane plantation.
- As you drive over the Jules Wijdenbosch bridge, take in the panoramic views of the river.
- Meet the people of Commewijne and learn about the history of the plantations from your local guide.
Don't miss out on the humble history, being surrounded by nature, the green hues, and other highlights that this seven-hour guided tour has to offer. You'll feel at ease as you're driven to Commewijne, across the Jules Wijdenbosch bridge, to see the Open-Air Museum in Nieuw Amsterdam, former coffee and cacao plantations at Peperpot, and sugarcane plantations at Marinburg, all while listening to the slither of the Suriname river.
Starting with being picked up, you'll meet your guide and learn about the Commewijne district, which is one of Suriname's oldest plantation areas. Listen to the fascinating story of the second half of the 17th century, when plantations were established on the Upper Commewijne and Cottica rivers, primarily for the cultivation of sugar cane, coffee, and cacao. While being driven from Paramaribo across the Jules Wijdenbosch bridge, imagine the past and admire the present.
The first stop will be at Peperpot, a former coffee and cacao plantation where you will walk the Peperpot Trail. Following that, you'll go back in time to imagine the workers at the Open-Air Museum in Nieuw Amsterdam and the former sugarcane plantation Marinburg. In between these activities, you'll enjoy a delicious lunch and drive past the historic plantations Ellen and Lelindaal. By the end of the day, you'll have gained a better understanding of the unique history of the old plantations and the remnants that are sometimes hidden in the forest.
- Guided tour
- Transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
-Alcoholic drinks (can be purchased on site)
- Additional food and drinks
- Tips (optional)
Please choose one of the following meeting points: - Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 8:15am - Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 8.30 am - Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 8.45 am - Joah Inn Appartementen, Keizerstraat 91 at 9.00 am
What to Remember
-Please note there is a choice of pickups from 4 locations, which are:
Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 8:15am
Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 8.30 am
Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 8.45 am
Joah Inn Appartementen, Keizerstraat 91 at 9.00 am
- At checkout, please write your choice of pick up from the 4 locations above so the local operator is aware.
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes, sunglasses, hat or cap for the sun, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, a poncho or umbrella and take your camera.
- The minimum number of adults that can be booked is 2 and a maximum of 15.
- This activity is available in English and Dutch.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 70% refund if you cancel up to 21 days before the experience begins. If you cancel up to 14 days before, you can still receive a 50% refund. If you cancel up to 5 days before, you can still receive a 25% refund. If you cancel up to 24 hours before, you can still receive a 10% refund.