Marsh and Mangrove Half-Day Nature Adventure
Language: English, Dutch
Duration: 5 hours
- Sailing through the swamp, you'll come across a variety of animals, including scarlet ibis and shorebirds.
- Enjoy a traditional Surinamese lunch prepared by Johanna and Margaretha.
- Feel the waves caress the boat from left to right as you sail through the swamp, the roots of the mangrove forests moving to the rhythm of the water. At the camp in the middle of the marsh, sample local fruit, snacks, and non-alcoholic beverages.
Are you up for a jungle adventure in Suriname's mangrove forest? In five hours, you'll visit the Johanna and Margaretha plantations, sample a Surinamese lunch prepared by locals, experience the nature of the marsh on a small swamp boat, and much more.
After being picked up in the late morning, you'll board a wooden tent boat and sail up the river to the plantations. You'll learn about the traditional lifestyle of the descendants of the Javanese and Hindu contract workers on this former coffee plantation at the Johanna and Margaretha plantation. Following that, enjoy a Surinamese lunch prepared by Johanna and Margaretha.
Step onto a smaller 4-seater swamp boat and experience the thrill of entering the marsh. Laugh as you try to identify various wild birds like herons and ibises. You'll also see marsh vegetation, with mangrove roots rising above the water and aquatic plants creating a distinct panoramic picture. You'll arrive at the camp in the middle of the marsh after about 40 minutes, where you'll sample local fruit, snacks, and non-alcoholic drinks. Depending on the season, you can admire the beautiful water lilies on the way back, and if you're lucky, you might even spot caimans. To round out the experience, a chance to see dolphins at the Suriname and Commewijne River estuaries is included.
- Guided tour
- Pick-up and drop-off from designated areas
-Alcoholic drinks (can be purchased on site)
- Additional food and drinks
- Tips (optional)
Please choose one of the following meeting points: - Joah Inn Apartments, Keizerstraat 91 at 11.00am - Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 11.15am - Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 11.30am - Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 11.45am
What to Remember
-Please note there is a choice of pickups from 4 locations, which are:
Joah Inn Apartments, Keizerstraat 91 at 11.00am
Purity Tours & Services, Heerenstraat 15 at 11.15am
Torarica Resort, Mr. L.J. Rietbergplein 1 at 11.30am
Courtyard by Marriott Paramaribo, Anton Drachtenweg 50-54 at 11.45am
- At checkout, please write your choice of pick up from the 4 locations above so the local operator is aware.
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes, long-sleeved shirt, long pants, sunglasses, hat or cap for the sun, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, a poncho or have an umbrella if rains and take your camera.
- The minimum number of adults that can be booked is 2 and a maximum of 15.
- This activity is available in English and Dutch.
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 70% refund if you cancel up to 21 days before the experience begins. If you cancel up to 14 days before, you can still receive a 50% refund. If you cancel up to 5 days before, you can still receive a 25% refund. If you cancel up to 24 hours before, you can still receive a 10% refund.