Mauna Kea Astronomical Tour from Kona
Duration: 6 hours
- Use a Dobsonian telescope to see into one of the darkest and most pure skies on the world.
- See the sun come to life in full color, complete with solar flares and sunspots.
- Take in the sights of galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, planets, the moon, and more.
Your carefully trained guide will allow you to safely observe the sun come alive in true color with brilliant solar flares, sunspots, prominences, and any other current activity, weather permitting.
Then, between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, two of the world's highest and most colossal volcanoes, you'll journey down Saddle Road. Your National Park Service-trained guide will explain the volcanology, geology, and history of these monstrous wonders, as well as provide in-depth commentary on the lava flows and flora and fauna you'll see.
After that, your guide will take you to one of Mauna Kea's top midnight stargazing places. You'll use a big aperture Dobsonian telescope to see deep-sky and planetary objects under one of the darkest and most pure skies on the world! Dobsonian telescopes provide a real purist's view of the night sky, since their fast focus ratio allows for expansive wide-field views of objects. You'll see galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, planets, double star systems, the moon, and much more, depending on what's visible in the present sky and weather permitting!
Finally, before returning to your resort, warm up with 100 percent Kona coffee, hot chocolate, and a delectable dessert from a local artisan baker.
- Guided tour
- Hotel pickup/drop-off
- Entrance fees
- Warm jackets
- Picnic- style dinner
- Children (ages 0-12)
The pickup time will depend on the location of your accommodation in Kona. The local tour operator will contact you prior to the tour to arrange your pickup time. Please indicate your pickup location and phone number at checkout.
What to Remember
- Pickup schedule will depend on the location of your accommodation in Kona. The local tour operator will contact you prior to the tour to arrange your pickup time. Please indicate your pickup location and phone number at checkout.
- People of all ages can participate in this tour.
- This tour is not fully wheelchair accessible. Participants have to do a few stairs to get in and out of the vehicle on their own. But it's possible to store a wheelchair in the back of the van if needed.
- This tour does not visit Maunakea’s summit or Visitor Center out of deference to Native Hawaiian concerns.
- Please wear closed-toed shoes and bring a light jacket. Some sights are weather dependent.
Please refer to the calendar for updated availability.
Pickup schedule will depend on the location of your accommodation in Kona
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the experience begins.