Jewish Heritage Tour in İstanbul
Jewish Heritage Tour offers to discover Istanbul’s Jewish culture that has existed here for more than 500 years on this full-day tour of Istanbul. It is a private guided tour and requires at least two people to be operated.
Pick up from the hotel in the morning and drive to Galata, the centuries-old Jewish neighborhood with its famous tower built by the Genoese. Walk around Galata and explore its colorful life in the streets. We will visit Neve Shalom Synagogue or Ashkenaz Synagogue, depending on their availability.
Our next destination is Balat which is located along the Golden Horn. It is a residential area of the Ottoman Jews and you can still see “Star of David” on the facades of some buildings. After exploring the neighborhood of Balat, we proceed to Ahrida Synagogue, dating back to the 15th century, and the Jewish Hospital (Or-Ahayim). We will view them from the outside.
A delicious lunch in a cozy restaurant.
After lunch, we pay a visit to Zülfaris Jewish Museum and the “Oldies House” in Hasköy. Zülfaris Jewish Museum was formerly known as Zülfaris Synagogue and then was restored and remodeled as a museum.
Then we drive past the Jewish Cemetery where the martyrs of Neve Shalom are buried and stop in Ortaköy. The final places we visit in our Jewish Heritage Tour are Ortaköy, where the Sephardic Jews that were expelled from Spain disembarked in 1492, and Etz Ahayim Synagogue.
After the tour, drop you off at your hotel.
- Enjoy wandering the colorful streets of Galata
- Explore the Jewish neighborhood in Balat
- Visit Zülfaris Jewish Museum, Neve Shalom, and Ashkenaz Synagogue
- Hotel pick up & drop off
- Transportation in A/C luxury vehicle
- Entrance fees
- English speaking tour guide
- Donations to synagogues
- Drinks at lunch
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Photocopy of the passport page with photo is needed in 4 days in advance of the tour date for applying permission to visit.
- Passports are required for security purposes during the tour.
- Please inform us if you'd like to have a kosher meal or to upgrade your restaurant.